Fort Apache Historic District
Fort Apache Historic District is four miles south of Whiteriver,
Arizona, off Arizona 73 on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation.
The Fort Apache Historic Park, which include the historic
district, is open 8:00am to sunset daily. Please visit Fort
Apache Park's website for further information.
Constructed between 1874 and 1932, the
Fort Apache Historic District encompasses the original site of
the Fort Apache military post. Fort Apache was a major outpost
during the Apache wars (1861-1886) and remained a military post
until 1922. In 1923 the fort became the site of the Theodore
Roosevelt Indian School. The district contains over 30
structures, ranging from a reconstruction of an early log
building to original two-story dormitories. Also included are a
headquarters building, sleeping quarters, corrals, storehouses,
a guardhouse, a magazine, stables, an old military cemetery and