Sierra Vista, Arizona
Fort Huachuca, a National
Historic Landmark, is four miles west of Sierra Vista, Arizona,
on AZ 90. The Fort Huachuca Museum is located three miles
northwest of the fort's main gate at Boyd and Grierson Aves.
The museum is open on weekdays from 9:00am to 4:00pm and from
1:00pm to 4:00pm on weekends; a donation is suggested.
Huachuca, constructed in 1877, was one of a chain of forts
established to guard southern Arizona against the Chiricahua
Apaches, led by Geronimo. It was here that the Army organized an
elite strike force that chased Geronimo and his followers
through Mexico's Sierra Madre during the summer of 1886,
compelling their surrender. Fort Huachuca was also the
headquarters of the famed 10th Cavalry, the "Buffalo Soldiers,"
one of the Army's elite black cavalry corps.
fort is still an active Army post and covers more than 70,000
acres, 110 of which are the "Old Post Area." This historic
district contains many notable buildings, among them the
Pershing House, and adobe structure built in 1884, traditionally
the Post Commander's quarters; the "Old Post" Barracks, built c.
1882-1883; Leonard Wood Hall, a large two-storied building used
as the hospital; and the Fort Huachuca Historical Museum, an
adobe and stone building originally used as the post chapel.