American-style Baked Ziti
4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 min
Baking Time: 30 min
- 1 - box (16 ounces) Ziti
- 3 - Tablespoons butter
- 3 - Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 - teaspoon salt
- 1/2 - teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 - teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 - cups milk
- 4 - (approx. 2 pounds) tomatoes
- 1/2 - cup Parmigiano cheese, freshly grated
- 1/4 - cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 - cup Italian flavored bread crumbs
- 1 - Tablespoon olive oil
Cook Ziti as directed, drain and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour, salt, pepper and oregano. Cook 1 minute or until
- Gradually stir in milk. Cook 2-3 minutes or until thickened,
stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel, seed and chop 3 tomatoes. Slice remaining tomato. Set
- In a small cup, combine bread crumbs and olive oil and set
- In a large bowl, stir together pasta, white sauce, chopped
tomatoes, cheese and basil.
- Place pasta mixture in a baking dish; arrange tomato slices
on top and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
Page 1 of 1