Unbaked One Crust Pie Crust
- 1 - cup all-purpose flour
1/2 - teaspoon. salt
1/3 - cup plus 1 - Tablespoon shortening or 1/3 cup lard
2 to 3 - Tablespoons cold water
- In medium bowl, mix flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening, using
pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until particles are size
of small peas.
- Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time,
tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost
leaves side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if
- Assemble pastry into a ball.
- Shape into flattened round on
lightly floured surface.
- Roll pastry, using floured rolling pin,
into circle 2 inches larger than upside-down pie plate, 9x1 1/4
inches, or 3 inches larger than 10- or 11-inch tart pan.
- Fold pastry
into fourths; place in pie plate.
- Unfold and ease into plate,
pressing firmly against bottom and side and being careful not to
stretch pastry, which will cause it to shrink when baked.
- Trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from rim of pie plate.
Fold and roll pastry under, even with plate; flute as desired.
Continue with directions in pie recipe.