Double-Crust Pie Pastry
- 2 - cup all-purpose flour
1 - teaspoon salt
2/3 - cup plus 2 Tablespoons shortening or 2/3 - cup lard
4 to 5 - Tablespoons cold water
- In medium bowl, mix flour and teaspoon salt.
- Cut in shortening,
using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until particles are
size of small peas.
- Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a
time, tossing with fork until you moisten all flour and pastry
almost leaves side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added
- Assemble pastry into a ball.
- Divide in half and shape into 2
flattened rounds on lightly floured surface.
- Roll one round on
lightly floured surface, using floured rolling pin, into circle 2
inches larger than upside-down pie plate, 9x1 1/4 inches.
pastry into fourths; place in pie plate.
- Unfold and ease into plate,
pressing firmly against bottom and side.
- Spoon desired filling into pastry-lined pie plate.
- Roll other
round of pastry.
- Fold into fourths and cut slits so steam can
- Unfold top pastry over filling and trim overhanging edge 1
inch from rim of plate.
- Fold and roll top edge under lower edge,
pressing on rim to seal and flute as desired.
- Continue as directed
in pie or tart recipe.