Baked Pie Crust
- 1 - cup all-purpose flour
1/2 - teaspoon salt
1/3 - cup plus 1 - Tablespoon shortening or 1/3 - cup lard
2 to 3 - Tablespoons cold water
Heat oven to 475º F.
- In medium bowl, mix flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening, using
pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until particles are size
of small peas.
- Sprinkle with cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time,
tossing with fork until you moisten all flour and pastry almost
leaves side of bowl (1 to 2 teaspoons more water can be added if
- Assemble pastry into a ball.
- Shape into flattened round on
lightly floured surface.
- Roll pastry, using floured rolling pin,
into circle 2 inches larger than upside-down pie plate, 9x1 1/4
- Fold pastry into fourths; place in pie plate.
- Unfold and
ease into plate, pressing firmly against bottom and side.
- For pie, trim overhanging edge of pastry 1 inch from rim of
- Fold and roll pastry under, even with plate; flute as
- For tart, trim overhanging edge of pastry even with
top of tart pan.
- Prick bottom and side of pastry thoroughly with
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown; cool on wire rack.