Premium Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream
Makes 10 1/2-cup
- cups heavy cream
- cups whole milk
- piece (2-inch) vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- egg yolks
- cup sugar
- Tablespoon vanilla extract
- cup crushed chocolate sandwich cookies
- In a 2-quart saucepan over
medium heat, add cream and milk.
- Then add vanilla bean and heat
until mixture almost boils, about 5 - 8 minutes. Reduce heat to
- In a small bowl, beat yolks,
sugar and vanilla extract until light yellow and smooth, about 1
- 2 minutes.
- Add 4 tablespoons hot cream/milk
mixture and stir until combined.
- Gradually add egg yolk mixture
to warm cream mixture, stirring continuously to prevent the eggs
- Cook over low heat until
slightly thickened and mixture coats the back of a spoon, about
3 - 4 minutes. Cool completely
- When cool, scrape seeds from
vanilla bean and add to ice cream mixture.
- Stir until well combined.
- Pour into freezing chamber of
your ice cream maker.
Freeze according to manufacturer's
- Freeze until thickened, about 20
- 25 minutes. Add crushed cookies to ice cream during the last 5
- 10 minutes of freezing. Transfer to an air-tight container and
freeze until firm, about 2 hours.
- Place mixture in a covered
container and store in the refrigerator overnight.
- Or chill over an ice bath for
about 30 minutes if you wish to make ice cream right away.