Chocolate Cherry Almond Ice Cream
Makes about 2-1/2
quarts ice cream.
- egg yolks
- cups. light cream, divided
- cups sugar
- cup cocoa
- teaspoon almond extract
- teaspoon vanilla extract
- cup chopped maraschino cherries, drained
- cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted
- In large bowl, add egg yolks and
2 cups cream. Beat on low to medium speed of mixer. Set aside.
- In large saucepan, add and stir
together the sugar and cocoa.
- Then gradually stir in egg yolk
- Cook over medium heat, stirring
constantly, until mixture is very hot. (Do not boil.)
- Remove from heat and allow to
cool to room temperature.
- Into chocolate mixture, stir in
the remaining 4 cups cream, almond extract and vanilla, blending
- Cover; refrigerate mixture at
least 6 hours.
- Pour chocolate mixture into
cylinder of 4- or 5-quart ice cream freezer.
Freeze according to manufacturer's
- Immediately fold in cherries and
- To ripen, repack in ice and salt
or set into freezer. let stand several hours.
* To toast almonds: Heat oven to
350° F. Spread almonds in thin layer in shallow baking pan. Bake 5
to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown; cool