Rich Vanilla Ice Cream
about 12 (1/2-cup) servings
Preparation time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 15 min.
Chilling Time: 2 hrs.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 pint Half & Half
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 pint (2 cups) Heavy Whipping
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- In a 2-quart saucepan, add sugar,
half & half and salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring
constantly, until sugar is dissolved (3 to 4 minutes).
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until
light and lemon-colored.
- Gradually stir small amount of hot
half & half mixture into beaten eggs with wire whisk.
- Slowly pour egg mixture into
remaining half & half mixture in saucepan, whisking
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until
half & half mixture reaches 160°F and is thick enough to
coat back of metal spoon (7 to 10 minutes). (Do Not Boil.)
- Pour into clean bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate until
chilled (1 to 2 hours).
- Stir whipping cream and vanilla
into chilled half & half mixture with wire whisk.
Freeze in ice cream maker,
according to manufacturer’s instructions, until desired
- Serve immediately or store frozen
in freezer container with tight-fitting lid.