- 3 - cups sugar
- 2/3 - cup Hershey�s Cocoa or Hershey�s
Special Dark Cocoa
- 1/8 - teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 - cups milk
- 1/4 - cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 - teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts
Line 8-or 9-inch square pan with
foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter foil.
- Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in heavy
4-quart saucepan; stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring
constantly, until mixture comes to full rolling boil.
- Boil, without stirring, until mixture
reaches 234�F on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture
dropped into very cold water, forms a soft ball which flattens when
removed from water. (Bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on
bottom of saucepan.)
- Remove from heat. Add butter and
vanilla. DO NOT STIR.
- Cool at room temperature to 110�F
- Beat 8 minutes with wooden spoon until fudge
thickens and just begins to lose some of its gloss.
- Stir in chopped nuts.
- Quickly spread into prepared pan
and cool completely. (Fudge does not set until poured into pan.)
- Cut into squares. Store in tightly
covered container at room temperature.
NOTE: For best results, do not double
HIGH ALTITUDE DIRECTIONS:
-- Increase milk to 1-2/3 cups
-- Use soft ball cold water test for
doneness or Test and read thermometer in boiling water,
subtract difference from 212�F. Then subtract that number from
234�F. This is the soft ball temperature for your altitude and