Makes 6 servings.
2 - Tablespoons brown sugar, packed
2 - Tablespoons cornstarch
1 - can pitted red tart cherries (16 ounce), packed in water
1/4 - teaspoon almond extract
1/2 - cup all-purpose flour
1 - Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking coca
1 - Tablespoon brown sugar, packed
3/4 - teaspoon baking powder
1/8 - teaspoon salt
2 - Tablespoons butter, soft
1/3 - cup milk
1 - teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, mix the 2 tablespoons brown sugar and
- Stir in the cherries with out draining the liquid.
- Cook over
medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in the almond extract.
- Pour cherries into 8-inch square
- In a medium-mixing bowl, mix the flour, coca, 1-tablespoon brown sugar,
baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in the butter, using a pastry blender or
crisscrossing 2 knives.
- Want the dough to look like fine crumbs.
stir in the milk and vanilla until it forms a soft dough.
- Using a
tablespoon, drop dough onto hot cherry mixture about 6 times.
- Place in oven and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is lightly
- Serve warm.