Preheat oven to 350-degrees F (325-degrees F for dark or
nonstick pans). Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size
1) Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for
cupcakes, using water, oil and eggs.
2) Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling
racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
3) In small bowl, mix vanilla frosting and green
food color until desired shade.
4) Place 1/4 cup green frosting and 1/4 cup
chocolate frosting in separate small resealable plastic freezer
bags; seal bags.
5) Cut small tip from corner of each bag; set
6) On each of 2 large serving trays, arrange 12
cupcakes as shown in diagram. Frost shell of one turtle with
Frost head and feet with green frosting. (Push cupcakes together
slightly to frost entire turtle, not just individual cupcakes.)
8) Pipe green frosting on chocolate shell to create
turtle design. Add 2 candies for eyes; add pupils with chocolate
9) Add nostrils with chocolate frosting or
miniature chocolate candies. Add red string licorice for mouth
(trimming to fit) and green licorice for tail.
10) Frost remaining cupcakes with green frosting
for shell and chocolate frosting for head and feet. Pipe chocolate
frosting on green shell to create turtle design.
11) Add 2 candies for eyes; add pupils with
chocolate frosting. Add nostrils with green frosting or miniature
12) Add red string licorice for mouth (trimming to
fit) and green licorice for tail. Store loosely covered.