Mama's Raisin-Filled Cookies
Time: 20 min
Baking Time: 15 min
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 - 5-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sour milk*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mama's Raisin Filling (see recipe below)
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar.
- In a bowl, combine 5-cups flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add creamed sugar, sour milk, and vanilla. (Add extra flour as
needed to make a sticky dough.)
- Refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350° F. and lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Thinly roll out half the dough on lightly floured board.
- Cut with round cookie cutter and place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Place a teaspoonful of filling on each.
- Roll remaining dough and cut with a doughnut cutter.
- Place on top of filled cookie.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minute or until lightly brown.
- 1 box (16-ounce) raisins
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 3 Tablespoons water
- In a food processor, grind raisins.
- In a saucepan, add water to raisins, bring to a boil and add
- Cook about 10 minutes and thicken with a thin paste of flour and
* To make sour milk, add 2-Tablespoon lemon juice to whole milk.
Page 1 of 1