Apple-Pecan Coffee Cake
Prep Time: 15 min
Baking Time: 40 min
- Streusel Ingredients:
- 1/2 - cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/4 - cup firm butter or margarine
- 3 - Tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 - Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 - teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Coffee Cake Ingredients:
- 1 - cup Fiber One®
original bran cereal
- 1 - cup milk
- 1 3/4 - cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 - cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 - cup vegetable oil
- 3 - teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 - teaspoon salt
- 4 - egg whites or 2 eggs
- 1 - medium all-purpose apple (Gala,
Haralson, McIntosh), peeled and chopped
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease bottom and
sides of 9-inch square pan with shortening and lightly flour, or
spray with baking spray with flour.
- To Make Topping: In small bowl, mix
pecans, 1/4 cup butter, brown sugar, 2 Tablespoons flour and
cinnamon. Set aside.
- To Make Cake: Place cereal in resealable
food-storage plastic bag; seal bag and crush with rolling pin
or meat mallet (or crush in food processor).
- In large bowl, stir together cereal and
milk and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour,
granulated sugar, vegetable oil, baking powder, salt, and egg
whites or eggs. Beat 30 seconds with spoon. Gently stir in
- Spread half the batter in pan and
sprinkle streusel on top.
- Spoon remaining batter over streusel and
spread to cover.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick
inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Heat oven to
400°F. Decrease baking powder to 2 1/2 teaspoons. Bake 37 to 42
Page 1 of 1