Buttercream Pound Cake
Makes 16 servings
Swirls of poppy seed add notice to this lemon pound cake. This recipe
is an updated version has the classic buttery flavor recipe.
1 - pound butter, softened (do not use margarine)
2-1/2 - cups powdered sugar
6 - eggs
2 - teaspoon grated lemon peel
3 - Tablespoon lemon juice
4 - cups all-purpose flour
3 - teaspoon baking powder
1 - can (12 1/2-ounces) poppy seed filling
- 1 - cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 - Tablespoon lemon juice or milk
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, add the butter and beat until light and fluffy.
add 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar.
- Beat until well combined.
- At medium speed,
add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in lemon peel
and 3 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup;
- At low speed, gradually beat in flour and baking powder; blend
In medium bowl, combine 3-cups batter with poppy seed filling; blend
- Spread half of plain batter in bottom of ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
Alternately add spoonfuls of poppy seed batter and remaining plain batter.
Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 25 minutes or until toothpick
inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes and remove from pan.
Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled.
To make the glaze
- In a small bowl, mix glaze powdered sugar and lemon
- Add enough lemon juice for desired drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle over cake.
High Altitude Instructions (Above 3500 Feet): Increase flour in cake to
4-1/2 cups. Bake as directed above