Prep time: 15 min
Baking time: 30 min
- 1/2 - cup shortening
- 1 - cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 - egg
- 1-3/4 - cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 - teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 - teaspoon salt
- 1/2 - teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 - teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 - teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 - cup thick applesauce
- 1/4 - cup water
- 1-2/3 - cups (10-ounces package) Peanut Butter Chips or Cinnamon
- 1/2 - cup golden raisins (optional)
- LEMON FROSTING (recipe follows)
Preheat oven to 400-degrees F. Grease 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening, brown sugar and egg until light
- Stir together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves;
add to shortening mixture, beating until well blended.
- Add applesauce and water; beat until well blended.
- Stir in peanut butter chips and raisins, if desired. Spread batter
in prepared pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes
- Cool slightly in pan on wire rack.
- Frost with LEMON FROSTING.*
- Cut into bars.
Makes about 3/4 cup frosting
2-1/2 - Tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1-1/2 - cups powdered sugar
4 to 4-1/2 - teaspoons lemon juice
1 - teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
Beat butter and powdered sugar in small bowl until well blended. Gradually
add lemon juice and peel; beat until of spreading consistency.
* Recipe may be doubled for a thicker frosting. Original recipe amount
is more like a glaze.
Page 1 of 1