Fudge Filled Walnut-Oatmeal Bars
Makes about 4 dozen bars
- 1 - cup (2 sticks) butter or
- 2 - cups packed light brown
- 2 - eggs
- 1 - teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 - teaspoon powdered instant
- 3 - cups quick-cooking oats
- 2-1/2 - cups all-purpose flour
- 1 - teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 - teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 - cups chopped walnuts,
FILLING (recipe below)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter and brown sugar in
large bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs, vanilla and instant
coffee, if desired; beat well.
- Stir together oats, flour,
baking soda, salt and 1 cup walnuts; gradually add to butter
mixture, beating until well blended. (Batter will be stiff; stir
in last part by hand.)
- Remove 2 cups dough and set
- Press remaining dough onto
bottom of 15-1/2x10-1/2x1-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Prepare CHOCOLATE FILLING and
spread over mixture in pan.
- Sprinkle reserved dough over
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup
- Bake 25 minutes or until top is
golden. (Chocolate will be soft).
- Cool completely in pan on wire
rack and cut into bars.
- 1 - Tablespoon butter or
- 7 - sections (1/2 oz. each)
HERSHEY'S Unsweetened Chocolate Premium Baking Bar, broken into
- 1/2 - cup sugar
- 1 - can (14-ounces) sweetened
condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
- 1-1/2 - teaspoons vanilla
- Melt butter in medium saucepan
over low heat.
- Add chocolate; cook and stir
until smooth and completely melted.
- Stir in sugar and sweetened
- Cook, stirring constantly, until
mixture thickens and sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in
- In microwave-safe bowl,
microwave butter and chocolate at HIGH (100%) 1 to 1-1/2 minutes
or until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth when stirred.
- Stir in sweetened condensed milk
- Microwave at HIGH 3 to 4
minutes, stirring every minute, until mixture thickens and sugar
- Stir in vanilla.