What do you know about James
Answers" at the end of the quiz.
Take 2 points for each right answer.
Maximum this page: 20 points!
1) James, the youngest of three children, was the son of Mildred
(née Meek) and Weldon Warren Bumgarner, a carpet layer. Where was he
2) James joined the National Guard serving seven months stateside. He
then went to Korea for 14 months in the United States Army, serving in
the 24th Infantry Division in the Korean War. He was injured twice,
first in the face and hand from shrapnel fire from a mortar round, and
second in the buttocks from friendly fire from U.S. fighter jets as he
dove headfirst into a foxhole in April 23, 1951.
3) In 1954, a friend, whom Garner had met while attending Hollywood
High School, persuaded Garner to take a non-speaking role in the
Broadway production of The Caine Mutiny Court Martial, where he
was able to study actor Henry Fonda night after night. Garner then moved
to television commercials and eventually to television roles. His first
movie appearances were in The Girl He Left Behind and Toward
the Unknown in 1956.
Who was the friend?
4) Garner is married to a woman, he met at an Adlai Stevenson for
president rally in 1956. They married 14 days later on August 17, 1956.
Who did he marry?
5) Garner was the sole star of Maverick for the first seven
episodes but production demands forced the studio, Warner Brothers, to
create a Maverick brother, Bart.
Who played Bart?
6) In 1969, what Western did he do with Joan Hackett, Walter Brennan,
Harry Morgan, and Jack Elam?
Support Your Local Sheriff!
Lone Stage to Australia!
7) In 1971, Garner returned to television in an offbeat western. The
motorcycle-riding character was killed in what became the final episode
of the single-season series. Garner was re-cast as the character's more
normal twin brother, in the hopes of creating a more popular series with
few cast changes.
What was the TV series?
8) Roy Huggins had an idea to redo Maverick, but this time as
a modern-day private detective. Huggins teamed with co-creator Stephen
J. Cannell, and the pair tapped Garner to attempt to rekindle the
success of Maverick, eventually recycling many of the plots from
the original series. Starting with the 1974 season, Garner appeared as
private investigator Jim Rockford in The Rockford Files. He
appeared for six seasons, for which he received an Emmy Award for Best
Actor in 1977.
9) Who from the Rockford Files also played with Garner in Bret
Stephen J. Cannell
10) He was nominated for his first Oscar award for Best Actor in a
Leading Role, opposite Sally Field. Field, and director Martin Ritt, had
to fight the studio, Columbia Pictures, to have Garner cast, since he
was regarded as a TV actor.
What was the movie?
Hour of the Gun