What do you know about
Answers" at the end of the quiz.
Take 2 points for each right answer.
Maximum this page: 28 points!
Alvin (Smiley) Burnette, an American singer-songwriter who could
play as many as 100 different musical instruments, was a successful
comedy actor in Western films over three decades.
2) Where was Smiley Burnette
born on March 18, 1911?
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3) His break came when he was hired to perform on the National
Barn Dance on Chicago's radio station where Gene Autry was the
show's major star.
The show was on what Chicago radio station?
4) Burnette and got their first small role in the 1934 Ken
Maynard Republic Pictures film.
What was the
In Old Santa Fe
5) Burnette appeared in several bit parts until the following
year's release of the Rin Tin Tin hit film.
was the film?
The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin
The Adventures of Rex and Rinty
The Adventures of Smiley and Rinty
6) Autry was the lead Western role and the rotund Burnette
would team up with him as a lovable comedy sidekick.
several names but what is the best known sidekick?
7) During World War II, after Autry went into the service,
Western star did he become the sidekick with?
Allan "Rocky" Lane
8) After leaving Republic Pictures in 1944, Burnette became the
sidekick to Charles Starrett at Columbia Pictures in the long
Durango Kid series. Starrett starred in the series from 1944 until
1952, and that pairing resulted in more than 50 films.
9) After the Starrett series was over, Burnette had the chance
to join Autry for his final six films, all released by Columbia
Pictures in 1953. He declined the chance.
10) In 1953, Gene and Smiley appear in their last film together.
It was about a dishonest banker trying to steal their mail
What is the movie's title?
The Last Posse
Last of the Pony Riders
Law and Order
11) In the mid-1960s he made several TV appearances on
Petticoat Junction (106 episodes) and Green
Acres (7 episodes) as railway
What was the character's name?
12) Burnette wrote over 400 songs and sang a significant number
of them on screen. His compositions have been recorded by numerous
popular singers, including such diverse ones as Bing Crosby and
February 16, 1967, at age 55, what was the cause of Burnette's
death in Encino, California?
Commuter train accident
14) Where is Smiley Burnette buried?
Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Rochester, New York
Westwood Memorial Park, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County,
Forest Lawn Memorial Park (Hollywood Hills), Los Angeles,