Ray "Crash" Corrigan
Born: February 14, 1902, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Died: August 10, 1976 (age 74), Brookings Harbor, Oregon
"Crash" Corrigan (Raymond Benard) born was an American
actor most famous for appearing in B-Western movies. In 1937, Ray
Corrigan had purchased some land in Simi Valley, California. He
developed this into Corriganville, a general location used for many
Western movies and TV shows.
What do you know about Ray "Crash" Corrigan? Take this quick
Alan's FUN Westerns Trivia quiz. "Check Your Answers" at the end of the quiz.
1. What did Corrigan begin his career in Hollywood as?
- Physical fitness instructor
2. Many of his early roles were in ape costumes - for example, as a
Gorilla in Tarzan and His Mate (1934) and an "Orangopoid" in
the original Flash Gordon serial.
3. Republic signed him to a Term Player Contract, running from May
25, 1936 to May 24, 1938. He was cast as one the trio in the Three
Mesquiteers series of films. What character did he play?
- Lullaby Joslin
- Stony Brooke
- Tucson Smith
4. There are a variety of stories about how Corrigan got the nickname
of 'Crash': Corrigan said that it was a name to compete with 'Flash
Gordon'; some said it was because Corrigan was a big bruiser; others
said it was because Corrigan wasn't a great rider, and had a hard time
staying on a hoss. Regardless, the 'Crash' nickname stuck for the
remainder of his life.
5. Tucson Smith and Stoney Brooke John Wayne compete for Phyllis
Isley (Jennifer Jones) in the Mesquiteers adventure, New Frontier
(Republic, 1939). Who plays Stoney Brooke in this film?
- Robert Livingston
- John Wayne
- Mel Brooks
6. Around 1937, Ray Corrigan invested in some real estate in
California's Simi Valley and developed it as a multi-purpose movie
location for use in film production. What did the film location become
7. In Bullets and Saddles (1943), Hammond is after the Craig ranch
and has framed Charlie Craig for murder. Mother Craig brings in the
Range Busters. They capture one of Hammond's men and Alibi plans to
trick him into a confession as to who the real murderer is. Meanwhile,
Denny has overheard Hammond's plans for his next move and he and Crash
set out to round up the gang. Who plays Hammond?
- James Arness
- Kirk Douglas
- Glenn Strange
8. Arizona Stage Coach (1942), in the midst of some friendly
horseplay on their "Flying R" ranch, the Range Busters, Crash
Corrigan (Ray Corrigan), Dusty King (John King) and Alibi Terhune (Max
Terhune), are sobered by the arrival of a buckboard bearing their old
friend Larry Meadows (Forrest Taylor) and his niece Dorrie Willard (Nell
O'Day). Who played Henchman Strike Cardigan?
- Kermit Maynard
- Ken Maynard
- Tom Mix
9. Rodeo contestants Johnny King and Corrigan meet, their fathers
having been members of the Range Busters. When Johnny is knocked
unconscious, time reverts to their father's era and the Range Busters
are soon involved in the scheme to get Railroad right-of-way across
Mother Slocum's ranch. When she is tricked into signing a release, the
Range Busters find their job more difficult as the Sheriff is in with
the crooks. What was the film?
- Tumbledown Ranch in Arizona
- The Sedona Ranch
- Tombstone Ranch in Arizona
10. Pals of the Saddle (1938), returning a lost item to Ann,
Stony arrives just two men shoot each other. Ann is a Government Agent
and she gets Stony to replace her now dead partner. An important
chemical is being smuggled out of the country and she sends Stony to the
storage facility posing as the foreign Agent. He fools the guards but
the boss arrives to expose the hoax and Stony is made a prisoner. This
is a Three Mesquiteers. Who plays Lullaby Joslin?
- Harry Depp
- Joseph Forte
- Max Terhune
11. Where is Ray "Crash" Corrigan buried?
- Hollywood Forever, Hollywood, California
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale, California
- Inglewood Park Cemetery, Inglewood, California