What do you know about Charles Starrett?
Enjoy this FUN Western Trivia quiz. "Check Your
Answers" at the end of the quiz.
1. While in college, Charles played football.
did he attend?
- Boston College
2. Intended to be only a Tim McCoy replacement, Starrett
remained with Columbia Pictures for 132 films.
What was his
first Western film for Columbia?
- The Kid from Broken Gun
- Gallant Defender
- The Eagle's Brood
3. Starrett is best known playing the "Robin Hood of the
West" known as the Durango Kid.
In what film did the
character first appear?
- The Dark Command
- The Durango Kid
- Frontier Crusader
4. Charles' character takes on the role of the Durango
Kid, in order to fight against bad guy Mace Ballard and his
What is his characters name?
- Ben Winslow
- Ben Taggart
- Bill Lowry
5. GALLOP TO GLORY WITH A GREAT NEW HERO...ROBIN HOOD OF
THE RANGE! This was the line used in the 1945 release of
Return of the Durango Kid
6. Rustlers of the Badlands was another 1945 release.
plays "Cannonball" in this movie?
- Rex Allen
- Dub Taylor
- Otis Taylor
7. In the Durango Kid movies, the main character was
usually called "Steve" something, but he could
change outfits and horses to become the hero behind the black
mask. His horses were named "Bullet" (Steve) and
8. Diehard film and video collectors still relish the
Kid films, but many are still locked away in Columbia
studio vaults these many years later, with only a few recently
being aired on The Movie Channel (TMC).
9. How many films in the "Durango Kid" series did
Columbia Pictures make?
10. Starrett retired from films after the "Durango Kid"
series ended in 1952.
What is the last film?
- Junction City
- The Kid From Broken Gun
- The Rough, Tough West
11. What was Starrett's cause of death?
- Heart attack
- Auto accident
12. Where is he buried?
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery, Glendale, California
- Cremated, ashes scattered, via air over Dartmouth College
- Westwood Memorial Park, Los Angeles, California