Aunt June’s Fried Potatoes
Makes 3 servings
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cooking Time: 20 to 30 min.
- 3 – cups new potatoes
- 4 – Tablespoons shortening or oil
- 1 – cup onions, diced
- 1 – teaspoon salt
- Wash the potatoes, remove any brown
spots, and cube. Fried potatoes are made with fine-diced
(1/4-inch), medium-chopped (1/2-inch), or coarse-cubed
(3/4-inch) potatoes. (With larger cubes, more potatoes will
fit in single layer in the skillet and require additional
- Over low-medium heat, melt 2 Tablespoons
of the shortening or oil in a large, heavy-bottomed or
cast-iron frying pan with a cover and add the potatoes. Do no
crown the pan.
- Cook covered for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn the potatoes, and add the onions.
Add 1 Tablespoon shortening or oil. Raise the heat to medium,
and cook uncovered 10 to 15 minutes, turning the potatoes
every 5 minutes or until they have browned on all sides and
are soft in the center.
- Add the final Tablespoon of shortening or
oil and let it sizzle. Sprinkle with the salt.
Page 1 of 1