Beef Squash Bake
Makes 4 Servings
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cooking Time: 20 min.
Baking Time: 10
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3-4 green onions, chopped
- 1 small green apple,
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoon chili
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb. beef top sirloin
steak, cut 1/2 to 3/4-inch thick
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1 cup single strength
- 1 cup quick cooking rice
- 1 Tablespoon butter or
- Chop celery, green onions, apple and pecans. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, chili powder, cayenne,
salt and pepper for spice mix.
- Press 1-1/2 Tablespoon of spice mix into each side of steak.
- Cook steak over medium heat in a skillet coated with
non-stick spray for 3-5 minutes per side.
- While steaks cook, trim stems and bottom of squash. Cut in
half crosswise and remove seeds.
- Microwave, cut side down, in a baking dish with 1/2 inch
water for 12-15 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Bring beef broth to a boil and add rice, celery, onion,
pecans and apple. Remove from heat, cover and let steam for 5
- Remove steak from skillet, cool slightly and dice into 1/2
inch cubes. Add beef to rice mixture.
- Place squash halves in a baking dish. Brush insides with
- Sprinkle 1-1/2 teaspoon of remaining spice mix over each
half. Fill squash with beef and rice mixture.
- Drizzle with any remaining butter and bake in preheated
350-degrees F oven for 8-10 minutes.
Alan's Kitchen Suggestions
- Serve with tossed salad and corn bread.
Page 1 of 1