4 (1-cup) servings
Prep Time: 20 min
Baking Time: 1 hrs
- 1/2 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium (1/2 cup) onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups tomato vegetable juice
- 1 can (15-ounce) chili beans in
- 1 can (14.5-ounce) zesty
chili-style chunky tomatoes
- 5 ounces (1 1/2 cups) uncooked
dried cavatappi pasta*
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices (3/4-ounce) Deli
American Cheese, cut into thin strips
Preheat oven to 350-degrees F. Spray
2-quart baking dish with no-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a 10-inch skillet, cook ground
beef over medium-high heat for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring
occasionally, until browned. Drain off fat.
- Add onion, chili powder and salt.
- Continue cooking for 4 to 5
minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened.
- Spoon beef mixture into prepared
- In a large bowl, combine vegetable
juice, beans, tomatoes, pasta and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour bean mixture over beef mixture
in baking dish.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil
and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Uncover and top with cheese.
Continue baking for 5 to 10 minutes.
*Substitute 1 1/2 cups uncooked dried
elbow macaroni or rotini. Decrease baking time by 10
FREEZE AND BAKE LATER METHOD: Prepare
recipe as directed. Place in freezer container. Freeze up to
3 months. To thaw, place in refrigerator for 24 hours or
until thawed. Heat oven to 350�F. Place mixture into
2-quart casserole dish sprayed with no-stick cooking spray.
Cover with aluminum foil; bake as directed until mixture is
heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese.
Alan's Kitchen Tip:
- Substitute plain chili beans in
sauce if a milder flavor is preferred or add 1/2
teaspoon hot pepper sauce if more heat is desired.