Apricot Stuffed French Toast
about 10 to 12 French Toast slices
Prep Time: 20 min.
1-loaf French bread (1 lb)
- 1-8 ounce package cream cheese,
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup Apricot Preserves
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Preheat oven to 225° F.
- In a small bowl, blend together
ingredients for filling until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Cut bread into 10-12 slices,
approximately 1-1/2 inch thick.
- Cut a small slice along the top of
each piece, creating a pocket in the middle.
- Fill with a heaping tablespoon of
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the
eggs, half-and-half, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Dip bread into this mixture and cook
on a greased griddle until both sides are golden brown.
- Be careful not to squeeze out the
filling. Place cooked slices on a baking sheet and place in a 225
degree oven to keep warm.
- Heat preserves in small saucepan
until melted. Stir in orange juice and almond extract.
- To serve, drizzle over French toast.