Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake
2 coffee cakes
Prep Time: 20 min.
Rising Time: 2 hrs.
Baking Time: 35 min.
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening or margarine
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Cherry Preserves
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- Heat 1-1/4 cups milk, salt,
granulated sugar, and shortening in small saucepan just to
boiling. Cool to lukewarm (105-degrees F to 115-degrees
- Stir in yeast and transfer mixture
to medium bowl.
- Add one cup of the flour to milk
mixture; beat well. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to
make a thick batter and beat until smooth.
- Let rise, covered, in warm place,
free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about one hour.
- Stir batter down. Pour batter into
two greased nine-inch round cake pans.
- Let rise in warm place until doubled
in bulk, about one hour.
- Make a swirl design on top of batter
with a floured spoon.
- Fill grooves with preserves, using
1/4 cup for each coffee cake.
Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- Bake coffee cakes until golden, 30
to 35 minutes.
- Remove from pans, cool on wire
- Fill grooves with remaining
- Mix powdered sugar, with enough milk
to make thin glaze consistency.
- Drizzle over warm coffee cakes.
Sprinkle with almonds.
Page 1 of 1