Roasted Green Chiles Spoon Bread
Makes 6 servings.
Prep Time: 5 min.
Baking Time: 11 hr.
3-1/4 - cups milk
1 - cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 - cup butter
1 - teaspoon salt
1 - teaspoon sugar
4 - eggs, separated
1/4 - cup onion, minced
1 can (4 ounces) diced roasted green chiles
Preheat oven to 325° F. and grease 2-quart casserole or baking dish.
- Use a double boiler to heat milk.
- Into the
hot milk, gradually add the cornmeal.
- You want to stir constantly.
until thick and spongy.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, salt, and sugar.
another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl,
beat the egg yolks until thick.
- Then slowly add into the cornmeal mixture.
Then add the onion and chiles.
- Finally, fold in the egg whiles.
- Pour into the dish.
- Set the dish into a pan of hot water and place in
- Bake for 1-hour or until bread is firm.