Sweet Potato Crescent
Makes 2 dozen or
Prep Time: 45 min.
Baking Time: 10 min.
- Dough Ingredients
- 4 to 4 1/2 - cups all-purpose
- 1/4 - cup sugar
- 1 - package (1/4-ounce) quick
rise active dry yeast
- 1 - teaspoon salt
- 1 - teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 - teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 - teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 - teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 - cup mashed cooked sweet
- 1/4 - cup butter
- 1 - cup milk
- 1 - egg, slightly beaten
- Filling Ingredients
- 2 - Tablespoons butter, melted
- Topping Ingredients
- butter, melted, if desired
Preheat oven to 375°F .
- In a large bowl, you want to combine
1-1/2 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, yeast, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger
- In a 2-quart saucepan, you want to
combine sweet potatoes, 1/4 cup butter and milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring
occasionally, until butter is melted and mixture is very warm (120°F
- Add to flour mixture. Beat at low speed,
scraping bowl often, until moistened.
- Add egg; beat at medium speed, scraping
bowl often, 3 minutes.
- Stir in enough remaining flour by hand
to make dough easy to handle. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface;
knead for 6 to 9 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in greased bowl and turn
- Cover; let rise in warm place for about
30 minutes or until double in size. (Dough is ready if indentation
remains when touched.)
- Punch down dough and divide dough in
- Roll half of dough on lightly floured
surface into 12-inch circle.
- Brush with 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Cut into 12 wedges. Roll up each wedge
tightly from wide end to point, forming crescent.
- Place crescents, point-side down, onto
greased baking sheet; curve slightly. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cover; let rise for about 20 minutes or
until double in size.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until
- Brush warm rolls with melted butter, if