Chewy Sourdough Breadsticks
Makes 16 breadsticks
Prep Time: 1 hr.
Rising Time: 45 min.
Baking Time: 20 min.
- Bread Ingredients
- 4 to 4-1/2 - cups all-purpose flour
or bread flour
- 2 - Tablespoons sugar
- 1 - package (1/4-ounce) active dry
- 1 - teaspoon salt
- 1 - cup water
- 1 - carton (6-ounce) (3/4 cup) plain
- 2 - Tablespoons butter
- 2 - Tablespoons vinegar
- Topping Ingredients
- 1 - egg white, slightly beaten
- Sesame seed or poppy seed, if
- Grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
- Coarse salt, if desired
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups
flour, sugar, yeast and salt in large bowl. Set aside.
- In a 1-quart saucepan, combine water,
yogurt and butter.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring
occasionally, for 2 to 4 minutes or until mixture reaches 120° to
- (Butter may not melt completely.)
- Add warm yogurt mixture and vinegar to
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl
often, until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make
dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface
and knead for 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Invert large bowl over dough; let rise
in warm place for 30 to 60 minutes or until almost double in size.
- Divide dough in half and roll each half
into 10x8-inch rectangle.
- Cut each into 8 (1-inch wide) strips.
Stretch each strip to about 12 inches long.
- Fold strip in half; twist several times.
Pinch ends to seal.
- Place onto greased baking sheet. Cover
loosely with plastic food wrap and let rise in warm place for 15 to 20
minutes or until double in size.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush breadsticks with beaten egg white.
Sprinkle with desired topping.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until
golden brown. Serve warm or cool.
Alan’s Kitchen Tip:
Sourdough originally had to be made with a fermented “starter” to get
its distinctive tangy flavor. Today, we can use other products to get a
similar flavor without the lengthy procedure of making and keeping a