Mesquite Spicy-Cured Pork Loin
Makes 6 servings
- 2 - quarts water
- 1/2 - cup sugar
- 1/4 - cup kosher salt
- 3 - Tablespoons fennel seed crushed
- 2 - Tablespoons thyme
- 2 - Tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 - teaspoon red pepper flakes crushed
- 2 - Tablespoons orange zest
- 1 - Pork Loin Roast (3-4 lb.)
- mesquite hardwood chips soaked in water for
- In saucepan, add water, sugar, salt, fennel
seed, thyme, pepper, red pepper flakes and orange zest.
- Bring to a boil and let cool.
- Place pork loin in very large plastic bag in
a large rectangular pan; pour cooled brine over and seal bag.
- Place pan in refrigerator for 3 days and
turn bag occasionally.
Prepare your grill to a medium indirect heat
according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Remove pork from brine and throw away liquid
but set aside the seasonings.
- Add wood chips to fire along with the
- Place pork on grill and cook over indirect
heat, for about 15 minutes per pound, until internal temperature measured
with a meat thermometer registers 150° F.
- Remove from grill and let rest 10 minutes to
allow meat temperature to rise to 160° F.
- Slice thinly to serve.