Brats with Spicy Sauerkraut
Makes 5 sandwiches
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cooking Time: 13 min.
Grilling Time: 10 min.
- Bratwurst Ingredients
- 5 uncooked bratwurst
- 1 (12-ounce) can beer or
2 cups water
- Sauerkraut Ingredients
- 2 - Tablespoons butter
- 1 - cup sauerkraut, drained
- 1/4 - cup chopped red bell
- 2 - Tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 - serrano chile or 1/2
jalapeño chile pepper, seeded, chopped
- Buns Ingredients
- 5 bratwurst buns, toasted, if
Preheat gas grill on medium or
charcoal grill until coals are ash white.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, add bratwurst
- Cook over high heat for 3 to 4
minutes or until mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and gently
boil for 10 minutes. Pierce each bratwurst with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a 10-inch skillet,
melt butter until sizzling.
- Add sauerkraut, bell pepper, onion,
- Cook over medium heat for 2 to 3
minutes or until peppers and onion are crisply tender.
- Place bratwurst onto grill.
- Grill for 10 to 12 minutes, turning
once, or until browned.
Serve bratwurst on buns and top with sauerkraut.
Alan’s Kitchen Picnic or Tailgate Tip
To make your picnic easier, cook bratwurst and sauerkraut as directed
above. Keep chilled in refrigerator. To transport, pack on ice in
cooler. When you get to your picnic site, grill bratwurst and serve
with sauerkraut. The sauerkraut can be kept covered in refrigerator
for up to a week.
Page 1 of 1