Grilled Italian Pizza Bread
Makes 12 to 15 servings.
1 - cup extra virgin olive oil
2 - teaspoon ground Mediterranean oregano
1 - teaspoon onion powder
3/4 - teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 - teaspoon curry powder
1/2 - teaspoon salt
1/2 - teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 - teaspoon finely ground red pepper flakes
1/4 - teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 - teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 - (one-pound balls) pizza dough
Chopped fresh basil
- In a small saucepan, add olive oil, oregano, onion powder, black
pepper, curry powder, salt, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, cumin, and
- Over low heat, whisk just until warm and oil becomes
Finally, remove from heat and set aside to rest for 2 hours at
- Lightly flour the back of a 15 x 10 inch baking sheet and one of the
pizza dough balls.
- Stretch out the dough to the size of the baking sheet.
- Place the stretched dough on the back of the baking sheet.
- Stir the
seasoned oil and liberally brush the surface of the dough.
Prepared medium heat grill.
- Turn the baking sheet or pizza oven paddle with the dough directly onto
the cooking grate.
- Remove the baking sheet and liberally brush the top
side of the dough with the seasoned oil.
- Over direct heat, grill until the
underside of the dough is marked, 1 to 3 minutes.
- If the crust bubbles do
not worry. (It will go down when turned over.)
- Slide the dough onto the
baking sheet and flip the un-grilled side onto the grill.
Brush the top
with more oil and continue to grill for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from grill and cool slightly on a cooling rack.
- Top with chopped
tomatoes, chopped onions, and fresh basil.
- Cut into individual pieces.
- Repeat grilling method for 2 remaining balls of dough.
Barbecue Facts & Tips