Makes 24 servings
Prep Time: 15 min.
Chilling Time: 3 hrs.
- 1 - whole firm round Chihuahua or Monterey Jack
cheese (1 pound)
- 1 - package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 - cup chopped marinated artichoke hearts or
pepperoncini peppers, drained
- 1/4 - cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 1/2 - teaspoons chopped fresh basil leaves or
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- Crackers, if desired
- Remove any waxed coating or rind from Chihuahua
cheese. Hollow out cheese with knife or spoon, leaving 1/2-inch thick
side and bottom; reserve cheese shell.
- Finely chop enough of the scooped-out cheese to
measure 1 cup. (Reserve any extra for another use.)
- Place 1 cup chopped cheese, the cream cheese,
artichoke hearts, 3 tablespoons of the pine nuts and the basil in food
- Cover and process using quick on-and-off motions
until well mixed.
- Pack mixture into cheese shell.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon pine nuts;
- Cover and refrigerate about 3 hours or until
filling is firm.
- Cut into thin wedges. Serve with crackers.
Alan's Kitchen Tip: How-To Toast pine nuts by
placing in a dry skillet and cooking over medium heat, stirring
frequently, until golden and fragrant. You'll have perfectly toasted
pine nuts in about 5 minutes.