Wine Fondue with Cheese
A glossy, deep-red "fondue" made by cooking
red wine and sugar until slightly thickened.
1 cup fondue
Prep time: 10 min.
Cooking time: 23 min.
Cooling time: 1 hrs.
- Fondue Ingredients:
- 2 - cups full-bodied red wine (Zinfandel, Barolo
- 1 - cup sugar
- 4 - teaspoons dry fruit pectin
- Dippers Ingredients:
- Deli Sharp Cheddar, cubed 1/2-inch
- Chedarella, cubed 1/2-inch
- Monterey Jack Cheese, cubed 1/2-inch
- Combine wine and sugar in 10-inch skillet.
- Cook over medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil (2 to 3
- Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring occasionally,
until mixture is reduced to about 1 cup (20 to 25 minutes).
- Stir in pectin; continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat. Cool completely.
- Serve as a dip with cheese cubes.
*Substitute 2 cups non-alcoholic red wine.
Alan's Kitchen Tip:
- Fondue is typically made from cheese, white wine and savory
seasonings into which French bread is dipped. Here, the cheese is used
as a dipper for this richly flavored "fondue". Try dipping
pieces of fruit, gingerbread or angel food cake as well as cheese into
this shiny, berry-colored syrup.