Vehicles (Cars & Motorcycles)
Western Films
Western Stars
Westerns TV
Where Are Famous People Buried?
Year In Music
Year In Westerns

What's Old West Forts Place Names? Trivia

These are all well known Old West Forts Place Names.  I will give you some information and you pick the correct place.  "Check Your Answers" at the end of the page.

Trivia powered by Prof. Walter1) I am a 19th century outpost of the United States Army located in southeastern Arizona near the present day town of Willcox, Arizona.

I am established in 1862 after a series of engagements between the U.S. Military and the Chiricahua Apaches. The most violent of which is the Battle of Apache Pass.  The fort is named in honor of the colonel, who is the commander of the 5th California Infantry who first establishes the fort.  The first fort resembles more of a temporary camp than a permanent army post. In 1868, a second, more substantial fort is built which includes adobe barracks, houses, corrals, a trading post, and a hospital.

The second fort is built on a plateau about 300 yards to the southeast of the first site. For more than 30 years the fort and Apache Pass are the focal point of military operations eventually culminating in the surrender of Geronimo in 1886 and the banishment of the Chiricahuas to Florida and Alabama.  The fort is abandoned in 1894. My ruins are now preserved as part of my National Historic Site.
What is my Place Name?

• Fort Bowie
  • Fort Collins
  • Fort Spencer
  • Fort Molner

2) I am one of the most famous components of California's Golden Gate National Recreation Area. The Fort, which borders the City of Sausalito in Marin County and is connected to San Francisco by the Golden Gate Bridge, served as an Army post until the mid-1990s, when the headquarters of the 91st Division moved to Parks Reserve Forces Training Area. It is located opposite Fort Point at the entrance to the San Francisco Bay.
I am classified as an historic district on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. It features essentially-intact historic structures and landscapes, and is currently under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service (NPS). I am renowned for my spectacular views of the San Francisco Bay.

The military history of the area begins in 1850 when President Millard Fillmore creates The Lime Point Military Reservation, for coastal defense positions and logistic support facilities, on the north side of the Golden Gate, across from Fort Point. However, due to lengthy litigation the land is not acquired by the Federal Government until 1866. Between 1872 and 1876, four barbette batteries are built: at Point Cavallo (Battery Cavallo), on the ridge above Lime Point (Cliff and Ridge Batteries), and on Gravelly Beach to the west (Gravelly Beach Battery). The only buildings on the reservation are barracks-like quarters for construction crews, storehouses, and offices, to the west of Horseshoe Bay.

In 1890 plans are drawn up for modern "Endicott Type" coastal artillery batteries to be built from Point Cavallo to Point Bonita. Four batteries are completed by 1901: Batteries Spencer, Kirby, Duncan, and Orlando Wagner. In 1897 a tent camp is established where the present Main Post is today, and the reservation is renamed. Construction of permanent structures begins in 1901.
What is my Place Name?

• Fort Barber
  • Fort Frisco
  • Fort Baker
  • Fort Amigo

3) I become a Army post in 1858. Designed to house 2 companies of soldiers to protect settlers in the San Luis Valley, which is the Territory of New Mexico. I am named for the General who is the commander of the Military District of New Mexico.

Colonel Kit Carson and New Mexico Volunteers are stationed here in 1866 and he successfully negotiates a treaty with the Utes in 1867. The Ninth Cavalry, (Buffalo Soldiers) is stationed here between 1876 and 1879. In 1876, these troops are called to the La Plata region to prevent conflict between the Utes and white prospectors. The following year, they help remove white settlers from Ute reservation lands.

In 1879, United States military units are called upon by Nathan Meeker, the Indian Agent at the White River Agency. Meeker and others are killed, and family members taken captive by unhappy Utes. The captives are released and the Utes are moved once again, which reduced the need for a Fort.

The Colorado Historical Society restored the fort and opened the museum in 1950. Restored and reconstructed buildings include the adobe Commandant's Quarters, where Kit Carson and his wife once lived, the cavalry barracks with exhibits of Hispanic traditional arts and 19th century transportation artifacts, and officer's quarters. Permanent exhibits focus on Kit Carson and Buffalo Soldiers.
What is my Place Name?

• Fort Myers
  • Fort Lincoln
  • Fort Garland
  • Fort Brewer

4) I am a Federal fort now in the Nez Perce National Historic Park. I am originally called Camp Lapwai until 1863. I am located on the left bank of the Lapwai River three miles above where it joined the Clearwater River. I am located nearby the state's first settlement, Spalding, Idaho, built in 1836 by Henry Spalding.

I am established by Major Jacob S. Rinearson, 1st Oregon Cavalry by order of Brigadier General Benjamin Alvord. The post is established to prevent both the increasing numbers of white settlers from attempting to encroach on Nez Perce lands and the Nez Perce from retaliating. Company E 1st Regiment Washington Territory Volunteer Infantry recently musters in at Alcatraz, are ordered on October 19, 1862 to me near the Nez Perce Agency, where they are to build the encampment. Company "F", 1st Oregon Volunteer Cavalry Regiment join them at the post in November, 1862. It is renamed a fort in 1863.

It is briefly unoccupied in 1866 at the end of the Civil War, when the Volunteer regiments are disbanded and before sufficient Federal troops are available to garrison it. Reoccupied again that November it is only unoccupied again between July and November, 1867. It is finally decommissioned in June 5, 1884, and turned over to the Indian Service. The Northern Idaho Indian Agency move to the site in 1904. Several original structures still stand on the site.
What is my Place Name?

• Fort Clearwater
  • Fort Lapwai
  • Fort Spalding
  • Fort Perce

5) I am established in 1859 as a base of military operations against hostile Indians of the Central Plains, to protect traffic along the Santa Fe Trail and as an agency for the administration of the Central Plains Indians by the Bureau of Indian Affairs under the terms of the Fort Wise Treaty of 1861. With nine restored buildings, I survive as one of the best examples of Indian Wars period forts. Most of my buildings, including the barracks, commissary, and officers quarters, are furnished to their original appearance.

The buildings are built of a yellowish cut stone. The barracks follows the pattern familiar to Army trainees, with a large open bay with beds on each side of a central aisle. There is a room with a door at one end, a sergeant's room. What is unusual to living recruits is that there was no shower or toilet room at the end opposite the sergeant.
What is my Place Name?

• Fort Larned
  • Fort Santa Fe
  • Fort Pickering
  • Fort Moses

6) Originally known as Fort St. Anthony, I am a former military fortification located at the confluence of the Minnesota and Mississippi Rivers in Hennepin County, Minnesota. I am part of the Mississippi National River and Recreation Area, a unit of the National Park Service.

My historic site is run by the Minnesota Historical Society, is located on top of the river bluff. The land at the bottom of the bluff is protected as a state park, run by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. The history of these two areas are intimately connected despite the current split in ownership.

Lt. Zebulon Pike purchases 100,000 acres of land in the area in 1805, though it is more than a decade before significant settlement took place. Following the War of 1812 the federal government builds a chain of forts and installs Indian agents between Lake Michigan and the Missouri River.

The original installation is constructed between 1820 and 1824 as Fort St. Anthony. During construction, the soldiers live at Camp Coldwater, which provides drinking water to the fort throughout the 19th century. I get my name upon my completion in 1825 in honor of the colonel, who commands the regiment that built it (the 5th Regiment, United States Infantry), and oversaw its construction. He is considered to be a reasonable commander, when he is sober.

He is susceptible to becoming angry when ill from chronic dysentery, and he leaves the installation in September 1827 when recalled to Washington. He dies a year later from complications due to dysentery and a "brain fever".
What is my Place Name?

• Fort Pike
  • Fort Snelling
  • Fort Hotwater
  • Fort Lee

7) I am a former United States Army base located at the confluence of the Missouri and Yellowstone Rivers in North Dakota. I am famous for being the location where in 1881 Sitting Bull surrendered.

Company C, 2nd Battalion, 13th Infantry, 70 enlisted men commanded by Capt. (Brevet Lt. Col.) William G. Rankin, first establish a camp on the site on June 15, 1866, with orders to build a post; the only tools they have to do it with are the company axes. The fort is named after a Union Army cavalry general during the American Civil War.

On July 28, the garrison is redesignated as Company C, 22nd Infantry. I am expanded in 1867 and again in 1871-1872 from a one-company 360-foot square frontier stockade to a six-company infantry post, and became a key element in the supply route for the military campaigns of 1876-1877 in Montana. The end of the Indian wars and the remoteness of the post result in its deterioration, and it is abandoned by the Army on October 1, 1895.

Today the North Dakota State Historical Society runs the fort as a state historic site.

What is my Place Name?

• Fort Mott
  • Fort Beacon
  • Fort Rankin
  • Fort Buford

8) I am a government reservation on Galveston Island overlooking the Gulf of Mexico originally built as a defense installation to protect the city and harbor of Galveston and to secure the entrance to Galveston Bay, thus protecting the commercial and industrial ports of Galveston and Houston and the extensive oil refineries in the bay area.

A military facility by the US Army Coastal Artillery on Galveston Island is established in the late 1890s. Construction got underway just in time to be disrupted by the Great Galveston Hurricane of 1900. The United States Army Corps of Engineers spent several years rebuilding and expanding the reservation before it Is re-garrisoned. In 1903, the facility is named after a Texas pioneer. Following extensive repairs and upgrades, the fort is garrisoned by the US Army Coast Artillery Corps in 1911.

During the First World War, I serve as a US Army artillery training center. Troops bound for France are trained in the use of several types of artillery.

During the 1920s and early 1930s, I house the United States Army Air Corps' (USAAC) 3rd Attack Group (an ancestor to USAF's 3rd Wing). At this time, the 3rd Attack Group is the only USAAC group devoted solely to attack aircraft. In 1932, I receive eleven A-8 Shrike attack aircraft, the US military's very first all-metal mono-wing combat aircraft. This delivery constitutes the first delivery of this aircraft to a forward operational unit. By the mid-1930s, the 3rd Attack group has relocated to Barksdale, Louisiana.
During the Second World War, I am expanded with an additional large gun battery, and focus is placed on defense against German U-boats. Additionally, I serve as a prisoner of war camp.

Following the war, I serve for several years as an army recreational center.
What is my Place Name?

• Fort Bowie
  • Fort Crockett
  • Fort Bodie
  • Fort Paladin

9) I am located in New Mexico on the Canadian River slightly west of the Texas border. I was one of a series of forts established by General James Henry Carleton to control the Comanches and Kiowas who frequented the Staked Plains of Texas and Rio Grande River. It also was to stop trade of stolen goods by the so called Comancheros.
Kit Carson engaged the Comanches and Kiowas in the First Battle of Adobe Walls in the heart of the Texas Panhandle. The fort was abandoned around 1870.
What is my Place Name?

• Fort Bascom
  • Fort Talcum
  • Fosrt Bush
  • Fort Collins

10) I was an outpost of the United States Army that existed in the late 1860s in present-day northeastern Wyoming along the Bozeman Trail. Construction begins July 13, 1866 by Companies A, C, E and H of the 2nd Battalion, 18th Infantry, under the direction of the regimental commander and Mountain District commander Col. Henry B. Carrington. The post is named for a popular figure in the American Civil War. Today, the fort and the nearby Fetterman and Wagon Box battle sites are maintained by Wyoming as a state historic site.

I am located along the east side of the Bighorn Mountains in present-day northern Johnson County, approximately 15 miles north of Buffalo. Along with Fort Reno and Fort C. F. Smith I was established along the Bozeman Trail in the Powder River Country at the height of the Indian Wars to protect prospective miners traveling the trail north from the Oregon Trail to present-day Montana.
What is my Place Name?

• Fort Phil Kearny
  • Fort George Crook
  • Fort Sheridan
  • Fort U.S. Grant

Check Your Answers

What's My Old West Forts Place Names? Trivia [Answers]

1. Fort Bowie
  2. Fort Baker
  3. Fort Garland
  4. Fort Lapwai
  5. Fort Larned